Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Acceptance of admissions from September 2024, long term enrolment
The University of Bristol, in south-west England, is one of the UK’s leading red brick universities and a founding member of the Russell Group of universities, with a long history of pushing the boundaries of global research. The University has produced 13 Nobel Laureates and former Prime Minister Winston Churchill was Chancellor of the University for 36 years. The current Chancellor is Sir Paul Nurse, former President of the Royal Society and Nobel Laureate. The University of Bristol is ranked in a number of international league tables, including 55th in the QS Global Rankings, 76th in the THE Global Rankings and in the top five in the UK for research quality in the REF 2021 Official Ranking of UK Universities. The University’s School of Computer Science is a major hub for research in immersive technologies.
Dr Junxia Shen is currently a Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Immersive Technologies in the School of Computer Science at the University of Bristol, UK. Dr Shen’s academic homepage is https://shawnshenjx.github.io.
He began his academic journey at Trinity College, Cambridge University, where he completed his undergraduate, master’s and doctoral degrees, specialising in computer engineering. Throughout his academic journey, Dr Shen has been awarded several full scholarships, including a full scholarship to Dewey Public School at the high school level, as well as a full Jardine Scholarship at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and a full scholarship to Trinity College for Mainland Chinese students, demonstrating his outstanding academic ability and personal achievement.
Dr Shen’s research interests include innovative input technologies (e.g., text input using brain-computer interfaces) and interactive AI applications (e.g., multimodal AI and super virtual assistants). He uses advanced machine learning techniques to explore interaction problems in next-generation computing platforms, and has not only conducted research on
- First-person perspective large model pre-training: technology development with a focus on privacy and low energy consumption.
- Long-term memory for multimodal LLM: Research on multimodal version of knowledge retrieval technology.
- Real-time text input and interaction technology development based on brain neural signal processing.
- development of real-time gesture recognition system: special focus on research of gesture recognition algorithm (open world machine learning) in open environment.
- Applicants should have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering or a related field;
- – the top 15% of majors;
- – Applicants should have a good foundation in programming, excellent English communication skills and a passion for research;
- – English language proficiency must meet the University of Bristol’s minimum requirements (IELTS score of not less than 6.5 overall and not less than 6 in any single category).
Please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] to complete your application.