Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Long term
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is a top 100 medical school (ranked 19th in primary care by US News). Texas Tech University is a R1 university. It is the second largest contiguous campus (1,900 acres) in the U.S. and the only university in Texas to house an undergraduate, graduate, law and medical school on the same campus.
The Li Bioinformatics and Computational Genomics Lab (dllab.org) seeks outstanding postdoctoral fellows in genomic sequencing data analysis and pipeline development to join our new lab and the planned new Center for Genomic Medicine. About our lab: Largest ME/CFS genomics programme; State of the art HPC; Strong mentoring and support team. Example of our recent publications: Genome Res PMID: 30872350; Bioinformatics PMID: 30895294. The university and the laboratory are fully committed to supporting the trainee’s career development. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and productivity.
With a population of 326,546, the Lubbock metro area is the number one place for recent graduates. About one in five residents is in their 20s, making it a good place (https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/15/the-top-cities-for-college-grads-in-2023-according-to-new-research.html)to make friends and build a social circle. Low cost of living; no state income tax; ~262 days of sunshine/year, etc.See photos.
- Bioinformatics, Computational Genomics
- Perform genomic data analysis (genome, transcriptome, methylome, etc.) from FASTQ/BAM files, integrative multi-omics analysis, transposable element analysis and/or other genomic/bioinformatics analysis or software development.
- Method and software comparisons and benchmarking of available tools. Design, development and implementation of new bioinformatics pipelines.
- Optimisation of pipelines and project-specific parameters. Perform quality assurance of all workflows and analyses. Ensure that all essential positive and negative controls are included.
- Read and incorporate literature relevant to current projects.
- Maintain accurate records of methods, software and parameters used. Ensure reproducibility.
- Draft reports and original manuscripts for publication. Present papers at meetings and conferences.
- Work carefully, paying attention to detail and troubleshooting. Meet deadlines.
- Carry out other duties as assigned. Demonstrate self-motivation.
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree (e.g. D.Sc., M.D.) in the project’s area of specialisation.
- Knowledge of modern research practices, methods, resources and standards. Ability to organise work effectively, conceptualise and prioritise objectives, and exercise independent judgement based on an understanding of organisational policies and activities. Ability to integrate resources, policies and information to determine procedures, solutions and other outcomes. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other members of staff and the public. Ability to plan and allocate staff workload, providing direct training and supervision as required.
- Experience in Linux command lines, HPC, genomic, transcriptomic and/or epigenomic data analysis and/or related software comparisons and new pipeline development, etc.