Scholarship: Full benefits as per university rule
Degree: PhD or Doctoral Degree
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Until the position is filled
The Crook Lab is a friendly, collaborative environment with an ambitious and broad goal to develop new ways of engineering biology. We have diverse interests ranging from engineering probiotics as in situ drug delivery platforms and enhancing the persistence of plant growth-promoting bacteria on the root, to bioremediation of microplastic pollution. We seek two highly-qualified postdoctoral research scholars to advance and expand these interests.
Group webpage: https://www.crooklab.net
Both postdoctoral positions focus on engineering probiotic yeast and E. coli to produce essential vitamins, with the goal of enabling the human gut to produce these vitamins from undigested dietary material. Prior knowledge in synthetic biology, genome editing, pathway engineering, and creation of genome-scale metabolic models is desired. One postdoctoral position will be primarily wet-lab focused, while the other position will be primarily computational in nature.
These positions are sponsored by The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA. Therefore, the researchers are offered a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment both within the Crook Lab and across institution to interact with other researchers from various backgrounds related to the intersection of synthetic biology and human health, from both academia and industry. The target start date is flexible to the needs of the candidates.
- Chemical or Biological Engineering, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology, or other relevant fields.
- Specific responsibilities include experimental design, execution, and troubleshooting; rigorous data analysis; review of relevant scientific literature; supervision of graduate and undergraduate researchers; preparation and review of manuscripts and presentations; assisting the PI in the preparation of technical reports and intellectual disclosures; attending center meetings; adherence to safe laboratory procedures.
- To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” on the page in the following link.
- Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- 1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- 2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- 3) Contact Information for Three References