Scholarship: Fully funded
Degree: B.S. or M.S.
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open until filled
The expected start date is Fall 2023. The successful candidate will work with Dr. He on the research areas, including Physics-Informed Machine Learning, Multiscale Materials Modeling & Design, Meshfree-based Simulation, Data-Driven Computing, and Structural Optimization.
Primary research topics include but are not limited to:
- 1.Physics-informed machine learning in computational mechanics and engineering
- 2.Finite element / meshfree methods for multiscale modeling, optimization, and design of advanced materials
- 3.Forward, inverse, and reduced-order modeling of large-scale energy and environmental systems
- B.S. or M.S. in civil/mechanical/aerospace engineering, material science, applied mathematics, physics, or a related discipline, with a strong GPA: >3.5 for undergraduate and >3.6 for graduate study (Master degree is not required).
- Strong background on at least one of the following areas: computational mechanics, solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, finite element modeling and simulation, and numerical methods.
- Programming experience (Fortran, C++, Python, MATLAB, etc.) is highly desired.
- Demonstrated research experience with the finite element analysis of nonlinear solid materials, meshfree method, topology optimization, reduced order modeling, and scientific machine learning would be a strong plus.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- 1.Submit your application to the Structures Track of the CEGE Graduate Program: https://cse.umn.edu/cege/how-apply-cege-graduate-programs
- 2.Interested candidates are also invited to email Dr. He ([email protected]) with 1) a cover letter (no more than 1 page) briefly describing your research experience and interests, 2) a latest CV (with mentioning your GPA), 3) transcripts and 4) English standard test scores (for foreign applicants). This and any other specific inquiries should be addressed with “PhD Application 2023 – [Last Name, First Name] – [Affiliated Institution]” in the subject line.