Degree: BS, MS, PhD
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Fall 2022
The group of Dr. Wang focuses on computational and data-enabled science and engineering (CDS&E) and its applications in real-world multiphysics systems, including robotics and autonomy, additive manufacturing, aerodynamics & aerospace, railroad engineering. CDS&E, recently emerging as a focal point of multidisciplinary research has been applied to essentially each phase of technology development and industrial engineering, from conceptualization, virtual prototyping and design, and automation and control, to final verification and validation (V&V). Our group aims to discover and develop new methodologies, framework, and capabilities to bridge CDS&E and system engineering in the real world and with particular emphasis on multiphysics and engineering intelligence.
We will investigate and develop computer vision-based control (visual-servoing) algorithms and strategies for unmanned systems, in particular UAVs.
Research efforts will include at least one of the followings
- Development of reduced order models and neural network models for multiphysics engineering systems
- Development of computer vision, image analysis, and signal processing algorithms
- Development of control algorithms for various autonomous systems (Unmanned aerial vehicle/UAV, unmanned ground vehicle/UGV, and unmanned surface vessel/USV).
- Development of data mining, machine learning, and optimization algorithms
- Development of CPU+GPU computing algorithms
Computation, Machine Learning, and Control
At least one of the qualifications below is preferred:
- Strong background in control theory, linear algebra, and computational mathematics and/or mechanics
- Experience in developing numerical models, codes, and computation algorithms (CFD and FEM)
- Experience in developing autonomous control, in particular UAV flight control (Pixhawk with ROS/PX4) and hardware-software interface for unmanned systems.
- Experience in developing computer vision and image analysis codes using Pytorch, TensorFlow, OpenCV, and other relevant.
- Hands-on experience with computing in Matlab, C/C++, Python, or other object-oriented programming languages
- Hands-on experience with embedded system and edge-computing modules, such as Jetson TX series, Intel NUC, Raspberry Pi, and Arduino.
- Strong interest and self-motivation to perform cutting-edge research and conquer challenges in real-world engineering and to publish high-impact papers
To apply, please send your CV/Resume, publications, etc. in a single PDF (for Ph.D. applicants, transcripts, and GRE scores are also required) to Dr. Wang (y[email protected]) with the email subject “Position Application”.