Scholarship: Fully funded
Degree: Bachelor, Master
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Summer 2022, Fall 2022, or Spring 2023
Dr. Hongyi Xu joined the University of Connecticut in February 2019 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. His research interests include design of mixed stochasticity systems, machine learning-driven design of lattice structures for Additive Manufacturing, stochastic microstructure modeling and design for energy storage systems, and uncertainty quantification and propagation. Prior to joining UConn, Dr. Xu worked in Ford Research and Advanced Engineering (2014-2019). He led and participated in a variety of research projects, including lightweight structure design, Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME) of carbon fiber composites, Lithium-ion battery impact safety, and structure design for Additive Manufacturing. Dr. Xu has received the NSF CAREER Award and multiple Best Paper/Editor’s Choice paper awards from the ASME and the Tire Society by Dec 2021.
The students will work on one of the below topics:
• Deep learning-assisted predictive modeling and design optimization of microstructures/structures
• Integrated design and uncertainty quantification of manufacturing process, materials, and structure.
Mechanical engineering, civil engineering, material science, computer science, or closely related field.
- A Master’s degree with project experiences and publications is a plus.
- Programming skills in Python and/or MATLAB.
- Experience in conducting Finite Element Analysis is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and machine learning is a plus.
- Self-motivated, strong interests in coding and quantitative methods.
If you are interested in artificial intelligence, design science, and advanced manufacturing, please contact Prof. Xu at [email protected].
Please also check the website of CoDeML here: https://hongyixu.lab.uconn.edu/.