Scholarship: Fully funded
Degree: BS, MS
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Fall 2023 or Spring 2024, application deadline on May 1
The University of Calgary (University of Calgary), abbreviated as U of C, is a prestigious research university located in the northwestern part of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. One of Canada’s top universities, it was formerly known as the University of Alberta at Calgary. It is ranked ninth in the world and first in North America in the 2016 QS Young Universities in the World within 50 Years of Founding; 174th in the 2021 U.S. News World University Rankings and 151st-200th in the 2021 Soft Science World University Academic Rankings. Currently a member of the U15 Consortium of Canadian Research Universities, the University has been independently conferring degrees on students since 1966. The University offers over 250 majors in 16 departments and has over 24,000 undergraduate students and over 6,000 graduate students. The University has five campuses, four in Calgary and one in Doha, Qatar. With an annual budget and research funding of more than $1.2 billion, the University of Calgary is one of the most well-funded universities in Canada. The University of Calgary is one of the most well-funded universities in Canada, and has produced students such as Stephen Harper, the 22nd Prime Minister of Canada, James Gosling, the father of Java, Garrett Camp, and Robert Thirsk, the Canadian astronaut.
Dr. Leo (XiaoHang) Fang joined the Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering in 2022. Prior to Calgary, he was a Lecturer in Engineering Science at Oriel & Sommerville College, University of Oxford, and a Research Fellow in the Thermal Propulsion Systems Research Group (TPSRG). Previously, he was an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Postdoctoral Fellow at TPSRG. He received his B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering with Thermal Fluid Option from the University of British Columbia in 2016 and his Ph.D. in Engineering Science from the University of Oxford. dr. Fang received several academic awards during his Ph.D. studies. Currently, he is leading several projects as a principal investigator on novel combustion chamber design and numerical studies of anomalous combustion. His research interests are in turbulent combustion, especially novel combustion model development and novel propulsion system simulation.
- Turbulent reacting flow modelling, Combustion theory and modelling, Computational fluid dynamics, Conditional source-term estimation models, Data-driven numerical methods for reacting flows.
- Applicants should have a relevant bachelor’s degree in engineering, computational science, physical science or mathematics
- Be able to provide a valid English language test score (e.g. IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in a single category)
- Experience in developing novel numerical models in a Converge or OpenFoam environment is preferred.
- Please send a brief description of your research experience, CV and transcripts to the teacher. Only candidates with good academic records will be considered.
If you are interested, Contact Professor: Dr. Leo Fang, [email protected]