Degree: BS, MS
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open
Yan Yan is currently an Assistant Professor in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Washington State University (WSU). His research interests are in robust machine learning and its applications to computer vision, with a focus on the design/analysis of stochastic optimization algorithms and the design/analysis of uncertainty quantization algorithms based on copattern prediction, focusing on both theoretical research on machine learning fundamentals and practical problem solving in applications. He was selected for the AAAI 2023 New Faculty Highlight program (35 applicants from around the world were selected in the same year). He has published nearly 30 papers on AI/machine learning/computer vision in top conferences and journals, such as AAAI, IJCAI, ICML, NeurIPS, CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, JMLR, TPAMI, TIP, TMM, TNNLS, TKDE, and has also served as committee (senior) member or reviewer for these conferences and journals. He has also served as a committee (senior) member or reviewer for these conferences and journals. Prior to joining Washington State University, he conducted research as a postdoctoral fellow under the supervision of Prof. Tianbao Yang at the School of Computer Science, University of Iowa, and before that, received his PhD in Computer Science from University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Australia, in 2018, under the supervision of Prof. Yi Yang, and his B.Eng. from Tianjin University in 2013. Personal homepage. http://iemppu.github.io/index.html
Washington State University (WSU) is a leading American public research university founded in 1890 and with a history of more than 120 years. The university’s main campus is located on 620 acres in Pullman, Whitman County, Washington, with campuses in Spokane, Tri-Cities, and Vancouver, and more than 23,000 students from all 50 states and 100 countries around the world. Washington State University is one of 108 universities in the United States to receive a Carnegie Research Fellowship and is ranked as a “High Density Research University”. Washington State University is ranked among the top 500 universities in the 2021 QS World University Rankings and 48th in Washington Monthly’s 2020 ranking of America’s Best Colleges. It is ranked as a Tier 1 national university by US News and is in the top 50 public universities in the United States.
- robust machine learning
- statistical learning theory
- stochastic optimization
- federated learning
- weakly supervised learning
- conformal prediction
- computer vision
- We are actively recruiting students with a high level of enthusiasm for original research and some scientific training to join the PhD program at Washington State University (full scholarship).
- We are looking forward to having students with a solid mathematical and scientific foundation or strong coding skills to join our lab.
- Interested students who have an upcoming undergraduate or graduate computer science program (or other related field with strong background and experience in machine learning) are welcome to contact us at [email protected] and include a transcript, a resume, and any other materials that demonstrate research experience, such as published papers.