Scholarship: Fully funded
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open
Dr. Zhu is Ara G. Paul Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Science with tenure at University of Michigan – Ann Arbor.
With the overarching goal to develop novel and clinically translatable immunotherapeutics and vaccines, Zhu Lab’s research interest lies at the interface of RNA/DNA/protein chemistry and engineering, immunology, and applied chemistry and biomaterials. Ourcurrent focus is to develop nucleic acidimmunotherapeutics/vaccines and their delivery systemsfor the prophylaxis and immunotherapy of cancer, infectious diseases, and autoimmune disorders. We havepublished >100 papers, including research articles in Science Advances, Nature Communications, and PNAS.Our research has been supported by >$10 million external funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the American Cancer Society (ACS), among others.
Learn more: https://pharmacy.umich.edu/people/guizhiz or https://guizhizhu.org/.
Our lab is a vibrant research community that values intellectual innovation, teamwork, scientific excellence, and career development. As a graduate student or postdoc, you will
- Work on cutting-edge projects: Tackle challenging scientific questions related to nucleic acid therapeutics and vaccines, and contribute to the development of novel disease treatments and preventive measures.
- Collaborate with experts: Engage in interdisciplinary collaborations within the lab and with leading researchers at the University of Michigan and worldwide. Benefit from the diverse expertise and perspectives to accelerate your scientific growth.
- Access state-of-the-art facilities: Leverage the advanced infrastructure in the lab and institution, including modern laboratories, cutting-edgeequipment and expertise, and resources, to conduct your research effectively and efficiently.
- Publish and present your work: Dr. Zhu’s lab encourages the dissemination of research findings through high-impact publications and presentations at national and international conferences, ensuring your work reaches a wide audience.
The ideal candidate should:
- Graduate Students: We welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds. Typical candidates have BS/MS equivalent degrees in a related field (e.g., pharmacy, bioengineering, biology, chemistry, material science)and a strong academic record;
- Postdoctoral Researchers: Candidates must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in a relevant scientific discipline. Expertise in nucleic acid chemistry/engineering/delivery, immunotherapy or vaccine development, gene editing, drug delivery, or related areas is highly desirable;
- Strong motivation for scientific innovation and drug/vaccine/technology development;
- Independent analytical and problem-solving skills: Ability to think critically, design experiments, analyze and interpret data, and troubleshoot experimental challenges;
- Communication and teamwork: Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a diverse team environment.
If you are excited about joining our team, please submit the following application materials to Dr. Guizhi Zhu:[email protected]. Interested graduate students shouldalso apply through the University of Michigan Graduate School.