Scholarship: Fully funded
Degree: BS, MS
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open
The ESEprogram and Professor Weiqin Lu’s research team at The University ofTexas at El Paso (UTEP) are recruitingthreehighlyself-motivatedgraduate students. The students will enroll in the ESE program and be mentored by ProfessorLuatthe Department ofPharmaceutical Sciences at the School of Pharmacy. Upon the completion ofthestudythestudent will receive aPh.D.degree in ESE and gain research experience and skills in cancerresearchandpharmaceutical sciences related to environmental health.
Professor Lu’slab atUTEP is conducting highimnact. cuttingedge research in the cross areas of metabolism. redox regulation,inflammation,and pancreatic cancer,which is well-funded (more than 5 million dollars overall)byR01grantsfrom NIDDKand NCIDepartment ofDefense (DoD), and other foundations. Professor Lu’slaboratoryleverages anumberofexperimental approaches, including advanced genetically engineered animal models. molecular biology. cancer biolozy. patient tissue analvsis. proteomics. metabolomics. cell/tissue culture,andxenograft mouse models, to address outstanding questions in the fields of pancreatitis and pancreaticcancer.TheresearchofProfessor Lu’s team will interrogate data from human patient samples coupled with experimental genetic models to investigate the molecular mechanisms of inflammation and obesityinpromotingoncogenicKRAS-mediated pancreatic cancer. The highly motivated students will have the opportunitytojoin andgrow ahighly translational laboratory that seeks to develop novel preventive and therapeutic strategies forpancreaticcancer.
Moreover the candidate will participate in clinically related cancer disparityresearch.For more information about Professor Lu’s research. please visit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/weiqin.lu.1/bibliography/public/or https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=xA2iSvcAAAAJ&hl=en
- ESE,Pharmaceutical Sciences, Cancer Pharmacology, and Drug Discovery
- The detailed instruction in the following pages
- Application Deadlines: 2023 Fall Enrollment-2/1/2023
- TOEFL>80 or I ELTS ≥ 6.5 (international students):GPA>3.0
- The student(MSorBS degree)should have agood background and knowledge in either of the following fields: biochemistry,molecularbiology,cell biology, biomedical sciences, bioengineering pharmaceutical sciences, or pharmacology.
- Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vita with three references and a cover letter to Professor Weiqin Lu([email protected])