Scholarship: Fully funded
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open
The research laboratory of Dr. Mathieu Lupien is anchored on the BHAG that cancer can be conquered by treating it as a disease of the chromatin. Dr. Lupien’sresearch pioneered the study of chromatin variants as a form of genomic variation defining genetic drivers in cancer (1); demonstrated that cancer development and progression can occur independently of genetic variants, relying instead on chromatin variants (2) and showcased how genome hacking technologies, including epigenetic therapy, can target chromatin variants to conquer cancer (3). For more information on research interests and publications from the Lupien lab follow us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MatLupien) or visit the lab website (www.pmgenomics.ca/lupienlab).
The research laboratory of Dr. Federico Gaiti is focused on discovering fundamental principles in evolutionary biology of cancer. The Gaiti lab (https://www.gaitilab.com/) develops and applies novel single-cell multiomics technologies and computational framework to measure the evolutionary process in human cancers and identify the mechanisms that drive and facilitate the course of cancer evolution, in order to devise therapies that directly anticipate and address tumor evolution.
The successful candidate will benefit from the complementary expertise of Drs. Lupien and Gaiti and be responsible to lead research projects focused on in-house generated longitudinal single-cell multiomic datasets from barcoded cancer models aimed at characterizing cell fate changes enabling tumour evolution and identify the underlying genetic and epigenetic drivers by studying genomic variations at single-cell resolution from scATAC-seq, single-cell methylation, and scRNA-seq data.
- Cancer evolution & genomics
- 1- Lead independent research projects (drive projects forward, analyze & interpret data)
- 2- Thrive in a collaborative work environment (coordinate activities with experimentalists)
- 3- Demonstrate willingness to conduct leading edge research from single-cell multiomics and barcoding experiments and establish new analytical approaches to study cancer genomics and evolution
- 4- Design, implement and maintain reproducible pipelines on CodeOcean and in-house platforms
- 5-Apply fundamental knowledge of research principles, theories and concepts
- 6- Optimize and improve epigenomic assays by analyzing problems of broad scope and advanced complexity through a scientific approach
- 7-Demonstrate excellent competency in written and verbal communications
- 8-Readily engage with a diverse research team