Scholarship: Full benefits
Degree: BS, MS, PhD
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: 15 December 2022
Xiaoyu Shi is an Assistant Professor at the University of California, Irvine, with appointments in the Departments of Cell Biology, Chemistry, and Biomedical Engineering. She received her PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of California, Davis, and then did postdoctoral research in ultra-high resolution microscopy at the University of California, San Francisco. Prof. Shi and her team have published several papers in top journals Nature CellBiology, Journal of Cell Biology, Nature, Cell, Science, Nature Communication, ACS Nano, Science Advances and others. Since establishing her lab at UC Irvine in 2019, Prof. Shi has received several U.S. science and technology awards, including the NIH Director’s New Innovator Award, the NIH Pathway to Independence Award, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Frontiers of Imaging Award, and the Hellman Fellowship. Lab website: https://www.shilab.bio.uci.edu/
- The use of ultra-high resolution microscopy techniques to study cell biology and structural biology.
- a. Organelle structure-function relationships, organelle-organelle interaction
- b. Mechanisms of cell signaling
- Biotechnology development
- a. single-cell spatial multiomics
- b. Ultra-high resolution microscopy (Expansion Microscopy, STORM, SIM)
- disease mechanisms
- a. Alzheimer’s disease pathology, new drug target proteins (Alzheimer’s disease pathology)
- b. Aging and progeria mechanisms
- c. Mechanisms of hospital metastasis (e.g. breast cancer), tumour microenvironment (cancer metastasis)
- a bachelor’s or master’s degree in biology, bioengineering, chemistry, physics, or a related discipline, obtained or to be obtained.
- a preference for applicants with a technical background in one of the following: single-cell omics (proteomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, genomics), microscopy, microfluidics, fluorescence imaging, mass spectrometry, biochemistry and molecular biology and data analysis
- a passion for science, meticulous honesty and critical thinking
- have a minimum score on the TOEFL or IELTS (no GRE required).
- Postdoctoral and PhD students: please send your CV and a brief reason for your application to [email protected]