Scholarship: Fully funded
Degree: Bachelor or Master
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open
Xiaoyu Shi is an Assistant Professor at the University of California, Irvine, with appointments in the Departments of Cell Biology, Chemistry, and Biomedical Engineering. Prof. Shi received her PhD in Physical Chemistry from UC Davis and then did postdoctoral research in ultra-high resolution microscopy technology at UCSF. Prof. Shi and her team have published several papers in top journals Nature CellBiology, Journal of Cell Biology, Nature, Cell, Science, Nature Communication, ACS Nano, Science Advances, etc. Since establishing her lab at UC Irvine in 2019, Prof. Shi has received several U.S. science and technology awards, including the NIH Director’s New Innovator Award, the NIH Pathway to Independence Award, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Frontiers of Imaging Award, and the Hellman Fellowship. Lab website: https://www.shilab.bio.uci.edu/
The research interests of Shi’s group are focused on the development of cutting-edge biotechnologies (e.g. spatial histology, ultra-high resolution microscopy) and their application to basic cell biology, cancer and aging mechanisms. The specific directions are as follows.
- Use of ultra-high resolution microscopy techniques to study cell biology and structural biology.
a. Organelle structure-function relationships, organelle-organelle interaction
b. Mechanisms of cell signaling
- Biotechnology research and development
a. single-cell spatial multiomics (SSCM)
b. Ultra-high resolution microscopy (Expansion Microscopy, STORM, SIM)
- disease mechanisms
a. Alzheimer’s disease pathology, new drug target proteins (Alzheimer’s disease pathology)
b. Aging mechanisms, cellular level mechanisms of premature aging (Aging and progeria mechanisms)
c. Tumor hospital metastasis (e.g. breast cancer) mechanisms, tumor microenvironment (cancer metastasis)
- Biology, bioengineering, chemistry, physics, or a related discipline.
- Preference will be given to applicants with one of the technical backgrounds in single-cell histology (proteomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, genomics), microscopy, microfluidics, fluorescence imaging, mass spectrometry, biochemistry and molecular biology and data analysis
- a passion for science, meticulous honesty and critical thinking.
- have attained a standard score on TOEFL or IELTS (GRE not required).
Postdoctoral application materials for PhD students: please send your CV and a brief reason for your application to [email protected]
Shi’s group is enrolled from the following three PhD programs, please refer to the link for details of the application process.
- CMB PhD Program in Cellular Molecular Biology: https://cmb.uci.edu/admissions/ (Deadline: December 1, 2022)
- MCSB PhD program in Systems Biology: https://ccbs.uci.edu/education/mcsb/admissions/ (Deadline: December 10, 2022)
- BME PhD program in Biomedical Engineering: https://engineering.uci.edu/dept/bme/graduate/prospective/admission-requirements (Deadline: December 15, 2022)